493 Senior Portfolio Post 1

    For this spring, I am taking the second round of the Senior Portfolio class as well as my last semester in CSU Chico before I graduate. I am excited to take full advantage of what this class has to offer, which is time and feedback. Last semester, I took on way more than I could chew. I made a complicated two person fight, which I would rush before every blog post submission and then have to redo the damage I had done. It was not a total loss though, because there was a lot that I learned about myself regarding my experience, workflow, strengths, and weaknesses. It also made me think about what I wanted to showcase in my demo reel to represent the kind of person that I am. 

    This semester, I will be focusing on much smaller scenes. I first want to warm up into the semester with a quadruped walk. I’ve been thinking of doing a cat, since I’ve been researching their unique gait of their feet nearly crossing and their back feet perfectly fitting into the track of their front feet. I’ve animated a runway model’s cat walk where they cross their feet in front of the other before. I think it’d be nice to pair the two walk cycles together in my demo reel. This is the rig I plan on using.

    After that, I want to do a dialogue piece that shows off strong expressions. I’ve chosen a very comedic line from The Princess Bride that reads:

Westley: "Give us the gate key."

Yellin: "I have no gate key."

Inigo Montoya: "Fezzik, tear his arms off."

Yellin: "Oh, you mean this gate key."

    I think these lines offer a lot of creative freedom. There could be animation before the line starts where a man is being cornered. I could have a pause between the last two lines to show Fezzik with his arms crossed, raised eyebrows, and a devious smile. I feel I should make a few quick storyboards for which directions I could go without doing too much. It’d definitely be a camera shot above the waist though, so I don’t have to worry about feet placement too much.

    If I stayed true to my timeline below, then I have five weeks left to do another animation. Obviously, it can’t be too complicated as I wouldn’t have much time left, but I would love to do a mix of my studies this semester, which would be a scene with a quadruped and biped with a tiny bit of dialogue. I have a vision of a cat hopping onto the right shoulder of a girl, she’s giggling and interacting with the cat. The cat settles onto her left shoulder like a familiar, and the girl looks straight on with a determined look and balled fist saying, “Now, let’s do this.” This concludes my plan for the semester.


Quadruped Walk:

Week 2: Find rig, and block.

Week 3: Spline and add personality to the walk. Present.

Week 4: Implement feedback and do final polish.


“Gate key” Dialogue Scene:

Week 5: Storyboard the gate key scene. Collect assets and build layout. Very rough position blocking to get a feel of the space. Set up cameras. Present.

Week 6: Implement feedback and block key positions and key facial expressions.

Week 7: Continue blocking, adding important in-betweens. Present.

Week 8: Implement feedback. Polish the block out to near perfection.

Week 9: Spline and correct any timing issues first. Present.

Week 10: Implement feedback. Spline and retime part two.

Week 11: Polishing and adding small details. Present.

Week 12: Implement feedback and do final polish.


“Now, let's do this” Dialogue Scene 2:

Week 13: Storyboard the lets do this scene. Collect assets. Block out positions and set up cameras. Present.

Week 14: Implement feedback and block key positions and key facial expressions.

Week 15: Polish the block to near perfection. Present.

Week 16: Spline and correct any timing issues first.

Week 17: Polish and finish. Present.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 2

Post 4